Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Too much love to fit into one post~Part 1

. . .so I'm blogging this weekend in two parts (three if you count skiing on Friday.)

Saturday and Sunday
On Saturday morning I had an art class. We're doing plaster-mix sculptures, which we had to mix and pour (messy) into plastic bags, then drape the bags over the form we wanted the finished object to take the shape of (i.e., someone wanting a round form could hang the bag from a shelf for the mix to harden in a round shape).
Then I went to my grandma's. As you know, my grandma is a very crafty woman, and I love her for that :) And along with getting me yarn for Christmas, she got me a gift certificate to Yarns Unlimited in Sewickley, but there will be more about that in Part 2.
However, my grandma's forte is not knitting. Believe it or not, she does not know how to knit. Shocking isn't it? She is, in fact, a dollmaker. Her dolls are mostly fabric, or cloth dolls. She sews and embroiders and paints doll faces, hands, shoes, and clothes. She taught me how to hand sew and how to use a sewing machine.
This is what we are working on together:

This is Gail Wilson's Hitty doll. She may not look very attractive now, but just look at the finished one here:


You know how I said before that my grandma can't knit? Well, actually she does now. I taught her Saturday night and she has a good half inch of a swatch going. And I will tell you soon about where she got the yarn ;) (by now you're probably dying from the teasers)

Stayed tuned for Part 2 of the Greatest Weekend ever!

No comments: