Friday, July 18, 2008

FO: Peter's Birthday Bear



This pattern is wonderfully fast. I had knit about 75% of the the total bear in one day! And the rest just took longer to put together because of my embroidery, by the way:
Embroidery: crochet chain belly and on top of the seam (doubles as both decoration and cover-up; I hate seams!), double French knots for eyes, backstitch for eyebrows, satin stitch for nose.

Also, a funny thing happened yesterday during the making of this bear. I was having a slow shift at the museum, so I decided to knit in between talking and explaining to tourists. One family I had had particularly grabby kids, the kind that makes you want to hide the more delicate objects. Here's the conversation:

Kid: What's this?
Me: A gazelle skin.
Kid: What's this?
Me: A warthog skull.
Kid: What's this?
Me: My purse.
(Mother yanks my bag out of kid's hands and tells him not to grab. She rummages through the contents and sees the yarn)
Mother: You're crocheting!
Me: I'm KNITTING a teddy bear for the little boy I babysit.
(Mother yells to her friend)
Mother: Amy! She's crocheting a teddy bear for her nephew! And she's using the good baby yarn!
(Other mother waddles over while I fight the Do-Not-Argue-With-Tourists rule)
Other mother: Aw, how sweet! And since it's handmade, he'll keep it forever!
(I smile thankfully and confusedly)
Then pulling their kids in a tow, they waved good-bye and wished me a nice day.

Yeah. We get some pretty strange tourists ;)

2 comments:

Sisterly Knits said...

Cute bear! Heh, funny. We both knit a toy this month. Weird. xD Fate IS trying to tell us something!! Only, I'm not giving my toy away. =D And funny story.

Anonymous said...

ahaha. poor you, those tourists sounded annoying.... :o